Ready for winter weather?
SERVPRO of Manistee, Ludington, and Cadillac has been helping customers in Mason, Manistee, Lake, Oceana, Wexford, and Osceola counties survive winter in west Michigan for nearly 20 years. Because the list of things that goes wrong never really changes, SERVPRO would like to remind you of things to check to prevent having to call us for help.
If you have a seasonal home that you are closing for winter and leaving the heat on:
- Have you checked your propane tank and arranged to have it kept full?
- Have you arranged to have the road plowed so the propane company can get to your tank?
- Have you marked your driveway for the plow driver and marked your drain field, sprinkler heads, outdoor hydrants and other potential issues?
- Do you have someone locally who can check on the home? They need to check for open doors and windows, suspicious tracks, heavy snow build up, and fogged or frosted up windows indicating water damage or heat loss.
- Do they have a key or know where it is hidden?
- Have you removed the outside hoses and made sure the frost free shut off valve is clear
- Have you notified the local authorities that you will be gone? They are happy to check on your home for you if you let them know.
- Have you changed the thermostat battery? It is a leading cause of furnace failure in unoccupied homes.
- Consider turning the water off at the well. (Unless you have a boiler that requires make up water) Even if a line freezes, it will not flood your home.
- Open doors to cabinets and vanities that contain water lines to allow heat to circulate.
Have you winterized the home if you are going to turn the heat off?
- If you drain your water heater, remember to turn the power off first to prevent burning out the heating element.
- Have you checked with your insurance company to verify that you still have coverage even if you are not living at the home? (Note: some insurance companies do not insure vacant homes)
- Never leave a temporary heater running in an unoccupied home. They start countless fires every year.
Even though you try to do everything right to prevent a loss, accidents still happen. If you have a loss don’t hesitate to call the local professionals at SERVPRO. Our crews at the Scottville, Manistee, and Cadillac shops can quickly respond to your emergency and help you make it “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call at 877-350-4872 and we will get a crew to your home within an hour.